Planning a project
When planning a project the timeline views of projects and users can be used together with filters to limit the visible projects to the one you are planning and users to specific users or groups you want to allocate on your project.
Project and Users timeline
Adding a rough schedule
Use click and drag in the project timeline view to create calendar events and build your rough schedule. The meaning of a calendar event is completely up to you to decide by giving it a name. You can allocate users on the calendar events as you create them or do that later once you know more about the scope of the project.
If you know about a user that should be working on your project, but dont want to assign him or her just yet you can create an event on that user in the “Users” timeline view to indicate that the user will be occupied with your project at that time.
Finding available users
When allocating users to a project the “Users” timeline view is useful or the combined “Projects and Users” dashboard where you can see both your project and users schedules. Filter the projects view to only show your project and use the filters on users or groups to narrow down on users that are interesting to you. Once you find users that are available by looking at their schedule you can allocate them to the events on the project by double clicking on the calendar event.
Once a user is allocated on a calendar event they are automatically part of the projects team if the "Add user to team when allocated to an event" setting is enabled.
Filters in planning
Filtering in timeline views can be done on done on events, tasks and milestones, on Projects and Users timeline views.
This can help you narrow down on certain tasks or events. E.g. to look at only Compositing tasks and events.
Filters in timeline view:
Changing what you see
From the timeline views settings you can also change how the timelines are displayed by changing:
- Group by: visually group the timeline items by Type, Project or Parent.
- Appearance: Colour tasks and events by different properties such as project, type, status or priority.
And from filters you can change:
- What type of timeline items to display: Task, Event or Milestones.
- Hide empty rows: any user or project that does not have anything scheduled will be hidden.
Interaction in timeline views
Summary of interaction when working in the timeline views:
- Click and drag on an empty space to create new event
- Double-click on an empty space to add a new milestone
- Drag event block to move in time
- Drag side of event block to resize event in time
- Hover mouse pointer over event to see additional information
- Double-click on a event to edit or delete the event
- Double-click on a task or milestone to open the sidebar